The year 2020, and especially its end, is the time of changes announced by the producer of Jira software. Recently, we have heard about the new licensing and support conditions for Atlassian Server products, and today (November 9, 2020), the company announced the rebranding of their Jira Service Desk. Apart from the new name – Jira Service Management, customers will receive a complex, comprehensive ticket management system. So far, Jira Service Desk has been enriched with many useful functionalities through add-ons. Now it will have them by default, which is a huge step towards meeting the needs of business customers.
IT Service Management
Some time ago, we wrote in detail about why the Jira Service Desk is an ITSM system in this article: IT Service Management for companies. Service desk with ITIL certificate. The solution, thanks to its advanced configuration options and compliance with ITIL principles, is a popular choice for the largest global corporations that often admit its critical role in the functioning of their operations and business. Among Atlassian’s customers, using the Jira Service Desk system (Jira Service Management now), there are companies such as Square, Twitter, Airbnb, and The Telegraph.
Jira Service Desk becomes Jira Service Management
From November 9, 2020, the Jira Service Desk system officially becomes the Jira Service Management solution. This change of name goes hand in hand with enriching the software functionality by essential add-ons. This way, a new and improved solution will provide customers with an even more advanced work environment right away.
Changes for Cloud
Jira Service Management Cloud is available for all package options: Free, Standard, Premium, and Enterprise. It has much more advanced functionalities such as change management, incident management, and some improvements for DevOps teams. The new possibilities are the result of including in the system what, among others, OpsGenie offers:
- More structured team operations with dedicated ticket categories for the incident, change, service, and problem management.
- Access and full control over the “alerting & on-call management” functionalities related to efficient handling of notifications and immediate communication both between the company’s teams and on the consultant/service technician – reporting person line.
- Reports and analyzes in case of system errors, an option to export to Confluence.
- New workflows for change requests.
- Automatic generation of change requests from CI / CD tools such as Bitbucket Pipelines
- Deployment gating.
- Built-in risk assessment engine.
Atlassian has announced further improvements coming soon::
- Richer and more complex functionalities for resource and configuration management thanks to the Insight application capabilities added to Jira Service Management./li>
- More efficient communication when working on tickets, thanks to Halp functionalities
Changes for Server and Data Center
Features adapted from OpsGenie, which were formerly available in the Cloud version only, will now apply to Jira Service Management Cloud. For server instances and Data Center, they will still require separate licenses. New capabilities related to the escalation of requests and DevOps functionalities will be available.
Jira Service Management – benefits for customers:
- More options available right away, without the need to implement them by using add-ons, which translates into::
- Lower costs and faster implementation.
- Sificant communication improvements in line with current best practices. With Jira Service Management, the company will be able to process requests and respond to customers instantly, without having to invest in additional applications.
See also: Announcing Jira Service Management, the next generation of Jira Service Desk.
Please note that:
From February 2021, the licensing conditions for Atlassian products for the Server version will change. By 2024 customers using server instances will have to transfer them to the Data Center or Atlassian Cloud. Feel free to contact us – we will be happy to answer all your questions and help with creating an optimal action plan.